Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Urbanscape

Trees in Bryant Park, January 2012

T-6 days

Over the weekend I dragged the suitcases out and started laying out the pile that will have to fit into them. My pile, anyway. The wife, while she's been very engaged in planning her pile, is not quite ay this point. Not really the most interesting part of the process, for sure.

I also got to go into the city for some retireworks (that's when you work even though you claim to be retired). NY is full of great picture opportunities, even if they're not primarily trees and rocks. Some of them do have trees in them, however.

I like landscape photography for a couple of reasons. One is that I look at landscapes and some of them take my breath away. I want to capture the emotions that I feel in a photograph, to share with others, but more importantly so I can feel that emotion later. In my mind that's the difference between a snapshot and a picture. To me, a snapshot is a memory jog of the event or the details of you were doing, or where you were. A photograph goes beyond that to capture the feeling I was having at the time. In the case above, it was early evening and the city lights were on, but the sky still had light; people were hurrying on their commutes home or other business; the Empire State Building was making it's daily statement about its place in the NY skyline.

Oh yeah, and there were some trees visible in Bryant Park from my spot on Avenue of the Americas that softened the hardness of the city.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment