Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Rainy day in Yellowstone

We've been watching the weather forecast for days now, and it has been consistently predicting that today would turn colder and have periods of rain, continuing through tonight and tomorrow. Well, for once the weatherman is right. It's around 50 degrees, very windy, and raining on and off since late morning.

I went out early this morning before the rain to do two hikes. The first was cancelled on account of bears: the trail was closed because the momma bears are nursing the baby bears. The second was cancelled because it started raining before I got there.

Catching some early morning rays, May 2012

Instead I took some pictures of my favorite subjects, bison and moving water.

The Firehole River, May 2012

I came back to Old Faithful when the rain got heavier and I couldn't even jump out of the car for a few minutes to take some shots. It wasn't raining here, so I repacked my gear and went off for a tour of the Upper Geyser Basin, which is the area immediately around Old Faithful. I got some good shots of Old Faithful from Observation Point up on the hill beyond the geyser, and also saw some features and geysers I hadn't seen the other day. Then it started to rain again, so I went inside.

Upper Basin, Yellowstone NP, May 2012

Tomorrow morning we leave for the (relatively short) ride down to Grand Teton National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment