Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night ...

Well, we've had two of these - rain and snow - along with hail, sleet and fog today. But before we left Yellowstone this morning, I went for a walk around Upper Basin - the area near Old Faithful - and took a few more snaps of some thermals.

Yet more unbelievable stuff, May 2012

They are truly out of this world.

We arrived at Grand Teton around noon, checked into the Lodge, had a tasty but complicated and overly lengthy lunch (something about somebody's hamburger having to be redone delaying our lunch 15 minutes ...I don't get it either). The wife then decamped in the beautiful lobby by a fireplace to read, and I attempted to take an afternoon hike. The weather wasn't clear and sunny, but cloudy, and I thought it would be ok as long as it didn't rain too hard.

Well, a few minutes into the hike it started snowing and sleeting. I wasn't even sure I was on the right trail, so I turned around and headed back to the car. After sitting a bit with the wife in the lobby, I tried another hike. Although Grand Teton has some of the most magnificent scenery in the world, and it's frustrating to not be able to see it.

A view of the Tetons, May 2012

And here's what I saw on my hike:

A gloomy day in Gand Teton, May 2012

I really hope the weather is better tomorrow; it's showing as cloudy with a shower. Since everything there is to do here depends on being outside, we need some passable weather.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment