Monday, May 21, 2012

Chip Chat

Another beautiful day here in Yellowstone. We're getting ready to head up to Yellowstone Falls and the Yellowstone Canyon.

You all know what SD cards are: those tiny, thumbnail- sized chips that go into you phone, camera or other computer-like gear and store data such as photos or songs. For a camera, in particular, they are critical and reliability is crucial. If you take 100 pictures and your card fails, you loose the pictures. On a trip like this where the pictures are a big part of the enjoyment for me (and maybe all of it for you?), it becomes that much more critical.

The good and the bad, May 2012

So I bought a bunch of new brand-name cards a few weeks ago to take with me. My main camera has a really slick feature: it takes two cards in two slots, and you have a choice of how to use them. Some people put still photos on one and movies on the other; some use them sequentially to get twice the storage capacity in the camera for stills; others put "Raw" images on one (the digital equivalent of negatives) and "jpegs" on the other (the digital equivalent of prints). Being an old database guy, I use them so one backs up the other: I have the camera set to write each image to both cards at the same time. Extra security, in case one fails.

Well, yesterday, one of the cards started giving error messages ("bad card"). It seems like the images on the card are ok, but I can't reliably take new ones. So these cards both go into the Used folder this morning and I put two new fresh cards in the camera. The main down side to this is I'm loosing half the total capacity of these cards for the trip, but I can always buy new ones somewhere if I need them.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment