Saturday, May 26, 2012

Hoodoos and Numbnuts



Bryce Canyon - one of the most unique and beautiful places I've ever been to, May 2012

The weather hasn't been cooperating for days now. While SLC was nice yesterday, it was hit or miss in Grand Teton (mostly miss) and didn't start well today. On the way down it rained periodically and really didn't look at all appealing. Until we went over a mountain pass and the wind blew all the clouds away. And kept on blowing. By the time we got to Bryce mid-day, opening the car door was a challenge and I had to steady myself while unloading the car. After checking into a great room at the Best Western Plus Grand Hotel in Bryce Canyon City, we went to see the Canyon.

The way you do Bryce by car (since it was way too windy to do any hiking) is to drive the 18 miles to the end of the park road, then drive back stopping at the various viewpoints. Here's one:

Arch, Bryce Canyon NP, May 2012



Since it was windy, I had to brace my tripod against a railing and wrap my leg around one of the tripod's legs to keep it stable. The wife ran out of the car at most stops, took a quick look, then got back in the car. She doesn't have her hood up and face half covered because she's shy:

@

Cold enough for you?, May 2012

As you can see, she's standing in front of another beautiful view, that of the Bryce Ampitheater - probably the most famous section of the park. Here's a better shot:

 

Bryce Ampitheater, May 2012

One of things that amazed me when I went to Yosemite two years ago was how some people think these parks are just like Disneyworld, and basically very safe. They're not, of course; they have many moderately dangerous sections and post signs to that effect every ten feet. The danger at Bryce is that you're on the edge of a cliff and, if you're not careful or if you're stupid, you could fall off. So here's the setup: it's really windy - steady winds of 20 mph, gusts over 40. I'm bracing myself and holding my tripod down so it won't blow over. I saw one woman put her camera on a rock to take a self-timer picture of her group, and the wind almost blew it off the rock before she caught it.

Now look at this:

An accident waiting to happen, May 2012

They look like teens or 20-somethings. We can only hope they haven't yet reproduced and Darwin will win this one.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment