Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Yosemite

As planned, I hiked up to Vernal Falls this morning. It's a pretty hard hike, and I'm in decent shape, but an awful lot of people do it. Fortunately, I left early so the trail was not crowded on my way up. I was curious to see what the photo opportunity was like at the Falls in the morning. When I was last here, it was afternoon and the sun was behind me. Sure enough, the first views on the way up had the sun in front of me and too much glare to be interesting. But after I passed the misty part of the Mist Trail (so-called because the spray from the waterfalls continually soaks the trail, which is a steep stairway), I found myself between the sun and a huge mist - perfect conditions for a rainbow.

Mist + Sun = Rainbow, June 2012

After continuing to the top and heading down, I returned to a great vantage point sticking into the Merced River to shoot. By now, the sun had moved sufficiently that glare was no longer a problem.

Vernal Falls from the shooting rock, June 2012

After lunch, the wife and I went out to see some of the sights easily reached from the Valley. Yosemite Falls, of course, is visible from many vantage points. Here's a shot from the meadow. It just seems like it should be as Ansel would have shot it, black & white


Classic Yosemite Falls, June 2012

Finally we walked up to Mirror Lake. Not much of a lake was there, even though it's only June. I guess the winter was dry here as well. However, the Tenaya River was flowing well and I got some nice moving water shots.

I get a rush from Tenaya, June 2012

I couldn't decide, can you?, June 2012

We're back in the room now, relaxing for a bit before going out again to maybe see a few more things and to get some dinner.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment