Sunday, April 15, 2012

What to do?

One of the advantages to taking a long trip is the freedom that comes with so many days - the freedom to do so many things, your head's likely to explode just trying to sort it all out. So I think we're only going to sort out a some of it in advance, and leave the rest for when we're there.

It's also interesting, and not surprising, that each of us is trying to optimize the part of the trip we are most looking forward to.

 

Research material, April 2012

I spent a couple of evenings outlining the sites in the National Parks and other outdoorsy areas we'll be visiting - the Black hills, Yellowstone, etc. When I asked her about preferences or showed her a sample day's schedule, her eyes pretty much glazed over. "Whatever you want to do, dear."

She spent the last several days analyzing the show and restaurant scene in Las Vegas. When she asked me where I wanted to eat, or whether I wanted to eat before or after a show, I began thinking about whether I had the right set of graduated neutral density filters for a lens with a 77mm thread. My answer to her was, of course, "Whatever you like, dear". Which I realize is not really helpful.

This diversity of activities will, I think, help keep us both fresh and looking forward to our next stop as we travel around for such a long time. I think so many days of rustic experiences would dull the pleasure of them for me, although I wonder if I'll be happy or sad to leave my hiking boots in the closet for a few days and wear loafers.

Then there's this blog. "Have you been reading my blog?". "No, why? You're writing it already?" "Well, yes." "We don't leave for a month yet - what is there to say?" Hmmmm ...

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment